The Crater Rim Ultra is a race up and around the crater rim of the beautiful and picturesque Port Hills. Four distances are available: 52km Crater Rim Ultra, 30km Bellbird Buster, 21km Kiwi Challenge, and 10km Rapaki Rumble. Shorter distance runs are also available for children (1 or 2km Hansen Park Dash).
Date: Sunday 13th October 2019.
Start Time: 7.15am for 52km event, 9.15am for the 30km event, 9.30am for 21km event and 10.15am for 10km event. The children's events begin from 12.50pm.
Start Location: Port Hills Athletics Club Rooms (Hansen Park, Opawa).
Cost: An additional fee of $15 applies to all late entries - except for the Hansen Park Dash. No late entries will be excepted for the Crater Rim Ultra or Bellbird Buster.
- Crater Rim Ultra (52km): $195 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $205 for others. Must be 18 years + to enter. You can also enter as a 2-person team for this event.
- Bellbird Buster (30km): $120 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $130 for others. Must be 18 years + to enter.
- Kiwi Challenge (21km): $60 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $70 for others. Must be 16 years + to enter.
- Rapaki Rumble (10km): $40 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $50 for others. Must be 14 years + to enter.
- Hansen Park Dash (800m, 2 or 4km): $5 per child. Must be 6 years and under for the 800m event, 7 to 12 years to enter the 2km event, and 13 to 15 years for the 4km event.
Find out more about the Crater Rim Ultra, including how to enter.
Entries are limited to 200 entrants for the Crater Rim Ultra and Bellbird Buster events - closing at midnight on Sunday 29th September 2019 or when full. Entries for all other events close on Sunday 6th October 2019.
This is an ideal introduction to trail running in a competitive environment. This trail run with stunning views is not to be missed.
Many competitors return for the challenge and the scenic nature of the course which overlooks both the Canterbury Plains and Lyttelton Harbour. The event also attracts interest from outside Christchurch and is a popular build-up to the Kepler Challenge.
Conditions for the event in early Spring can vary from a hot fine day to extremely wet and cold (as encountered in 2007).
- Christchurch 10km Night Series
- Wicked Rogaine Winter Night Series
- Selwyn Sport and Recreation Have A Go Day
- Port Hills Spring Rogaine
- Ellesmere College Colour Run
- Bivouac Night Navigation Series
- Canterbury Loves Tennis Open Days
- Rapaki Up and Backie
- Greta Valley Team Relay Race
- JD Duathlon Series
- Sri Chinmoy Spring Blossom Marathon
- Takahe-Akaroa Road Relay
- 4 Paws Marathon
- The Breeze Walking Festival
- Muddy Good Run Rangiora
- Crater Rim Ultra
- Corporate 8+ Rowing Challenge
- Jackson Holmes Salmon Run
- Pink Star Walk
- Boulder Bay Classic