These fun Wednesday night rogaines are suitable for gurus to newbies: 1-hour and 2-hour options are available.
Anybody that has a moderate level of fitness can participate. A high level of navigation ability is not required. Kids and families are welcome to come and have a fun time.
All events in this Mid-Winter Series will be in the dark with a mixture of street and off road route options:
- Wednesday 6th, 13th and 20th June 2018; and
- Wednesday 15th, 22nd and 29th August 2018.
Start Time: 6.30pm. Maps available from 5.30pm.
Cost: $25 per adult and $20 for students. Kids under 12 are free with one paying adult. Discounts are available if sign up for the whole series.
Find out more on the Wicked Rogaines website, including about training clinics for first-timers.
Rogaining involves teams of two to five members visiting as many checkpoints as possible in the time allowed. Checkpoints are scored differently depending on level of difficulty in reaching them; therefore teams choose a strategy (e.g. to visit many low score checkpoints) and route selection becomes a vital component.
Teams travel entirely on foot, navigating by map and compass between checkpoints in terrain that varies from open farmland to hilly forest. Teams travel at their own pace and anyone from children to grandparents can experience the personal satisfaction that comes from cross-country navigation at their own level of competition and comfort. Team members stay within earshot of each other.
The best thing about rogaining is the social aspect. Everyone starts at the same time, and generally finishes at the same time - it is just the amount of ground that has been covered by teams that differs. Rogaining can be held in city environments or in farmland and bush, and you get to visit parts of the country you never knew existed.
Wicked Kids Fun Rogaines will also be held to encourage kids - especially those under 7 years - to get outside and try rogaining.
- Torpedo7 Wicked Rogaine Mid Winter Series
- Christchurch 10km Night Series
- SouthernCross CX Season
- Selwyn Sport and Recreation Have A Go Day
- JD Duathlon Series for all ages
- Bivouac Night Navigation Series
- Governors Bay to Lyttelton Road Race
- Canterbury Loves Tennis Open Days
- Port Hills Spring Rogaine
- Greta Valley Marathon Relay
- Sri Chinmoy Spring Blossom Marathon
- The Breeze Walking Festival
- Muddy Good Run Rangiora
- Oxford Country Classic
- Jackson Holmes Salmon Run
- CBD Stampede
- Crater Rim Ultra
- Torpedo7 Wicked Rogaine Spring Series