Here are some ways to keep yourself motivated to be active:
- Aim for a goal: It might be walking a certain distance or being active for a certain number of days a month.
- Try clipping on a pedometer to count your steps (available at sports shoe stores).
- You might like to try doing an event. There are lots of team events, "women-only" events and some "men-only" events designed for fun and participation.
- Track your progress by keeping an exercise log and recording your weekly activity. Write down what you plan to do and what you did – see below for ways of doing this.
- Get a friend or family member to be active with you – you'll have twice the fun and can encourage each other.
- Get some coaching or support like a personal trainer.
There's a sport or recreational activity to suit everyone.
Check out the Related Links for websites with suggestions and advice on choosing an activity or sport to try.
Activity Diary: Your own 12 month diary with free ideas, programmes and encouragement [PDF, 1.2MB].
Map My Run: Draw your run (or walk) route on a map to find out the distance, or find info about a local run that has alrady been "mapped".